Monday, June 18, 2007
Wednesday, June 13, 2007
After taken antibiotics, my swollen eyelid (or they call it sty) is much better now. Now, I have a total different understanding about sty. From my old knowledge, I thought sty would transmit the virus to other people, so I should avoid seeing people in their eyes. Also, I should tie a black thread on the middle finger to prevent transmission. These are archaic thinking before the invention of advance medicine. I don't know why but I have started to inquiry about my past belief since I came to this country. I will not deny that this environment has influenced the way I think. My mind inclines to scientific thinking now.
Anyway, my new understanding about sty is that it is an infection of the eyelid caused by glands (or cells) that secrete from our skin that lubricate the eye. This is a common infection that sometimes will resolve on its own other times antibiotics are required. Although this is just a small matter, I learned a lesson from this experience. Learning is not confined by place and time; knowledge is somewhere surrounding us where we can grasp easily. Pay a little more attention to everyday life that you call it "tedious", you will find out that life is exciting and has richer meanings than you have ever thought.
Saturday, June 02, 2007
"Y'know, I was going to fix that truck this weekend"
"People in this world have gone crazy, y'know?"
"I'm not very good at public speaking, y'know. Like I get nervous y'know."
Are these sentences sounded familiar to you? Are you saying this filler word - you know - too? To be honest, I do include this expression into my speaking to sound like a native. It was not until I read a grammar book yesterday that I realized I picked up a wrong English term.
You know is a vacuous expression that has been spreading (in speech) like the most virulent cancer for decades. It is described as one of the most far-reaching, depressing, and disfiguring conversation wherever you go.
But it was left to Barney Oldfield, a retired air force colonel, to launch a vigorous campaign against you knows. In 1997 Colonel Oldfield offered a $1,000 scholarship to the
"Y'know, have you know in your conversation is not a good practice."
"I know it now! So, I determine want to toss out this inane expression."
- Resilience speaks louder than despair.
- Poor oral and written communication skills are rampant no matter what the student educational background or college ranking.
- No matter how busy you may think you are you must find time for reading now, or surrender yourself to self-ignorance.
- Greatness inspires envy, envy engenders spite, spite spawns lies.
- Take advantage of the opportunities, no matter how few they were.
- The potential to save lives makes the risk worthwhile.
- It is by studying others that we learn about ourselves.
- If we witness injustice or the violation of another human being's rights it's our duty to take the gloves off and speak up -- even if it hurts some feelings.
- Exercise can chase off the blues.
- The cause [of quarell] was so trivial that the whole thing was a pure waste of breath.
- Hustle -- you can't survive without it. A quitter never win; a winner never quit. It's easy to be ordinary, but it take guts to excel.
- The Unied States is still the dominant force in technology innovation, productivity and profits. But American don't quite realize how fast the rest of the world is catching up.
- "Accept what you are able to do and what you are not able to do.Accept the past as past, without denying it or discarding it. Learn to forgive yourself and to forgive others.Don't assume that it's too late to get involve." -- Tuesday with Morrie, Mitch Albom (1958)
- Americans becoming a postindustrial society that specializes in consumption and leisure.
- No worker from a rich country can equal the energy of someone trying to move out of poverty.
- History is more than just a quilt or a stick of furniture. It's time to use history to understand and appreciate the role of change in our lives.
- When you forgive someone, it doesn't excuse his actions; it frees you from stress and suffering.
- When she was just a few weeks old, and I was rocking her because she was crying. I just looked at her and said:
"Chelsea, you're never been a baby before, and I've never been a mother before, and we're just going to have to help each other get through this." -- Hillary Rodham Clinton
- Putting yourself in the moccassins of the victim.
- Everything worth doing is worth doing right.